Jesse Eisenberg is Lex Luthor.
Jeremy Irons is Alfred Pennyworth.
What does this mean?! Well, for one, WBDC really does love to shock everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) with their casting. But let's address the Alfred (Batmans Butler) casting: Awesome. Really, could you ask for more? Irons is a respectable actor with years under his belt. After Michael Caine played the butler to the Caped Crusader for the Dark Knight Trilogy, one could have only hoped that, should he return to the new DC cinematic universe, a man suitable for the role would be cast; it seems the internet is pleased with Irons. So no problem there.
But...
Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor?? The internet is on fire right now (and that's an understatement). Left and right people (like the Affleck/Batman casting) are debating and taking a side. Good casting? Bad Casting? Warner Bros. has lost their mind?!
Now I'll be the first to admit I was blown away by this news. After having heard the rumors of Joaquin Phoenix playing Luthor, or maybe Denzel Washington, THIS news is out of nowhere!! (Kudos are deserved, however, for the entire MoS2 team for keeping this under wraps). And while I'm a bit sad that we won't get to see Phoenix play the iconic villain, I have to say, after thinking about it a few minutes, I'm being won over by this choice.
Director Zack Snyder according to Variety magazine, says, "What’s great about Lex is that he exists beyond the confines of the stereotypical nefarious villain. He’s a complicated and sophisticated character whose intellect, wealth and prominence position him as one of the few mortals able to challenge the incredible might of Superman. Having Jesse in the role allows us to explore that interesting dynamic, and also take the character in some new and unexpected directions"
Therein lies the key to this new casting: A villain beyond the confines of the stereotypical villain; complicated and sophisticated; new and unexpected directions. This is not going to be your grandpas Luthor.
Both Snyder and writer David Goyer have said they want to portray this universe as though it were in the real world. And really, REALLY, what kind of person is, like Lex Luthor, billionaire, genius, ahead of the curve? Bills Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk. THESE are the modern day Lex Luthors (if they were to exist). Because of this, I can completely see the reason behind this casting.
What do you think of the new casting? Love it? Hate it? Don't care?
This has been Señor Movie, I'll see you at the theater.
Checkout the Variety article online: http://variety.com/2014/film/news/jesse-eisenberg-cast-as-lex-luthor-in-supermanbatman-jeremy-irons-set-as-alfred-1201079902/
We need to stop prefacing all the news reports about comicbook adaptations with "Not your grandpa's..."
ReplyDeleteWe find ourselves right at the bottom of a slippery slope of change for change's sake.
When Geoff Johns made Batman: Earth One every single change to the Batman mythos was in service to a greater story. He made Martha Wayne's maiden name Arkham (possibly hinting that Bruce has a genetic predisposition to mental instability) he turned Alfred into a younger, former S.A.S operative who was the Wayne's chief of security rather than their butler. He also changed their killer from random street thug to a politically motivated assassination by Oswald Cobblepot to give Bruce a full and richer mystery to solve that still links him to one of the classic villains of The Rogues Gallery.
I don't care how different the characterization of Luthor, Alfred or even Batman becomes in the new movie as long as it's for some reason other than, "Hey look how edgy we're being!"
It's the filmaker's equivalent of one day throwing on a fedora and suspenders and deciding you're cool now because you've decided to be a hipster. It's just lame and makes everyone want to punch things.
http://longdistancebromance.ca/2013/06/15/man-of-steel-reviewcast-bro/
Jaron and I discussed it the day the movie came out. My ex-girlfriend was in the room during that recording sitting quietly because I told her not to make any noise...
I wonder if that had anything to do with the ultimate failure of that relationship...